Farmshelf is an early-stage high-growth startup that builds smart indoor farms. Our bookshelf-sized Farmshelfs provide leafy greens and herbs year-round to food halls, corporate cafeterias and restaurants, including those of acclaimed chefs José Andrés, Marcus Samuelsson, and Claus Meyer. Together, our team of engineers, designers, fabricators, technicians and plant scientists take on the challenges of creating agricultural technology innovations to feed our growing urban populations.
As a team lead, the Senior Manufacturing Engineer will be the primary liaison between the Farmshelf design team and our contract manufacturer. Ensure operational readiness for Farmshelf’s new product development process from planning through product launch. This position will perform the critical role of influencing new product design to ensure that it is optimized for manufacturing cost and quality in addition to meeting all specified requirements.
Due to the fast-paced nature of the organization, the right candidate will possess the ability to work on many projects simultaneously, design and execute tests, learn from tests and mistakes, implement learnings and process change as appropriate, and adapt easily to changes. This position requires a motivated and enthusiastic individual who cares deeply about their own and their team’s work and can execute responsibilities with little supervision.
- Lead the manufacturing launch of new/revised products.
- Provide technical product knowledge in support of product development and testing.
- Work closely with the product development team to create structured bills of materials, and mechanical and electrical drawings to support design transfer to the contract manufacturer.
- Perform DFx analysis of components and assemblies to ensure high quality robust products that meet cost targets.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement on product design and process for cost reduction, quality and efficiency improvements.
- Develop process concept proposals with the contract manufacturer and implement approved processes on schedule and within budget.
- Work closely with the contract manufacturer to:
- monitor and assure processes are and continue to be compliant with all safety, environmental, and regulatory requirements.
- develop and document manufacturing processes that meet product requirements.
- improve manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements, and equipment layout.
- assure product and process quality by designing testing methods; testing finished product and process capabilities; establishing standards; confirming manufacturing processes.
- identify assembly tooling and fixtures to support product manufacturing.
- review and provide feedback on work instructions.
- review production, labor, and material costs, production schedules.
- review product and process reports and communicate issues.
- Ability to problem-solve complex issues.
- In depth understanding of manufacturing methods & procedures.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing techniques including Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing
- Excellent project management skills, including ability to develop and manage a project plan, establish priorities, work to deadlines, and control a number of projects at various stages of work.
- Resolve emergent engineering related production barriers.
- Provide technical assistance through the supply chain as necessary to meet the needs of the business.
- Ability to read and interpret technical engineering drawings and Bills of Materials.
- Proficient use of Solidworks and Propel
- ADDITIONAL SKILLS
- Work successfully in a collaborative team environment
- Constructively influence team decisions and product design requirements.
- Self-motivating and capable of working without direction or supervision. Excellent written and verbal communications skills and be able to communicate across all levels of the organization
- Experience with LED lighting and fluid systems a plus
EDUCATION/RELEVANT YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
- BS in Engineering or equivalent.
- 15+ years relevant experience in a similar role and level of responsibility