Farmshelf is an early-stage high-growth startup that builds smart indoor farms. Our bookshelf-sized Farmshelfs provide leafy greens and herbs year-round to food halls, corporate cafeterias, schools and restaurants, including those of acclaimed chefs José Andrés, Marcus Samuelsson, and Claus Meyer. Together, our team of engineers, designers, fabricators, technicians and plant scientists take on the challenges of creating agricultural technology innovations to feed our growing urban populations.
We are looking for a talented, energetic, and committed individual with a flexible work schedule to join our diverse team as a part-time Field Operator. This individual will assist with the installation, seed/plant deliveries, scheduled maintenance and emergency troubleshooting of our customer’s units deployed across the Chicago Metro area.
● Traveling to various locations to Identify, diagnose, communicate and resolve technical field issues in an accurate and timely fashion
● Communicate with clients about the status of their unit(s) and general information about Farmshelf
● Collect and understand field operations data via FarmCloud (our webapp)
● Fill out tickets and service logs after each service visit
● Install units at customer sites, including loading/unloading from a truck, moving units to installation spaces, and ensuring successful start up of units
● Perform servicing of units, including unit sanitization and sensor calibration
● Deliver seeding and planting supplies to clients as needed
● Troubleshoot and repair electronic, plumbing, and electromechanical systems including pumps, chillers, sensors, and horticultural lighting
● As needed: respond to client emergencies on nights and weekends
This role reports to the Manager of Technical Field Operations.
The ideal candidate should be passionate about our mission and deeply committed to technology, plant science, and innovative urban food solutions.
● Technical background, including relevant work experience or degree
● Strong electrical and mechanical skills
● Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills
● Experience working as part of a team
● Comfortable working in a constantly changing environment
● Flexible work schedule (*this is a part time / contractor role)
● Excited to work with a fast-growing mission-driven startup
● Comfortable working in tight spaces and/or dirty environments
● Able to carry tool bag and delicate replacements parts safely back and forth between sites
● Able and comfortable working on the ground
● Knowledge of controlled environment agriculture, basic plumbing and hydroponics a plus
● Able to lift up to 40lbs
● Driver’s license and car (travel partially reimbursed)
Farmshelf is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation